Wednesday 18 December 2013

Jim Clayton ''Songs My Daughter Knows''





I love Jazz, so I was quite excited when Jim Clayton's CD arrived on my desk. The Sarnia native is an exceptional pianist and composer. Jim's band, The Clayton/Scott Group won ''Group of the Year'' in 2005 and 2006 at the Canadian Smooth Jazz Awards and a Canadian Urban Music ''Best Jazz Recording'' Award in 2004. So, obviously, Jim is no hack!


In 2007 Jim and his wife Tracey started a yearly trek to a post-Katrina New Orleans (in fact, they were married there). While in New Orleans, Jim met some incredible musicians and the inspiration for ''Songs My Daughter Knows'' was born. 
“We had our daughter about three years ago and I wanted to do an album of jazz arrangements of the songs that she responded to as an infant,”
Not only does she respond to them, but you will as well. Recorded in May of 2013, due for US release January 14, 2014, ''Songs My Daughter Knows'' is a labour of love communicated beautifully. Jim's daughter Lenny, even at this tiny age, is a Jazz connoisseur. She was born to the sounds of Oscar Peterson and has been a Jazz aficionado ever since. So when Jim was contemplating a new album, it was Lenny's very distinctive tastes that led the way. 

 “Initially I thought I was going to do it (record the CD) with my musician friends here in Toronto, it was Marlon Jordan who suggested recording in New Orleans. Then just a week before the session, I bumped into him again and extended the invite, and he wound up guesting on two tunes.”

Clayton was a bit intimidated at first during the recording session at The Music Shed in New Orleans, surrounded by such exceptional musicians, creating music that for Jim was so close to his heart. That intimidation faded away quickly, and the result is tender yet joyful renditions of classics and not-so-classics. With Peter Harris (bass), Jason Marsalis (drums), Bill Summers(percussion), and Marlon Jordan (trumpet), channeling the sheer joy and energy of his beautiful Lenny (often present during recording), Jim has created a collection of songs that make you feel a father's love, and a daughter's wonder and joy. ''Inside Straight'' and ''Flight of the Foo Birds'' are smooth and gentle, with just enough swing. Perfect for listening to while sipping a glass of Chardonnay or while stretched out, reading a good book. ''Little Leo'', an original contrafact composition gels beautifully and is far and away my favourite track. The entire CD is consistently soothing and always interesting.

''Songs My Daughter Knows'' is sweet and charming, just like little Lenny!




Note from JazzBrat: As I finished writing this review, I glanced out my window. There is a blanket of fresh snow outside, the holidays are drawing near, and thoughts of family are near and dear. So I poured a glass of wine, sat in my favourite chair and relaxed, once again to the sounds of ''Songs For My Daughter''. AHHHH





No comments:

Post a Comment